File a Non-Emergency Police Report
If this is an Emergency or a police officer response is needed, please call 911 or the non-emergency number 507-238-4481.
Welcome to the Fairmont Police Department online police reporting system. Using this online police report system allows you to submit a report immediately and later print a copy of the police report at no cost.
You must have a valid email address to file an online police report. If we are unable to contact you via email, your online report will be rejected and there will be no record of your report maintained by the department.
An online report is used for a minor incident that does not have a sense of urgency and does not pose a safety concern. It also helps keep our patrol officers available to respond to emergency calls and does not require the reporting party to wait until an officer is available to start your report.
An online police report can only be completed for the following crime types:
- Animal Complaint
- Civil child custody complaint (For documentation purposes only)
- Damage to property (Includes vandalism and graffiti)
- Fraud & Forgery
- Harassing phone calls
- Illegal dumping
- Information report
- Lost or Found property
- Misdemeanor Level Thefts (Under $500 value. For vehicle theft or robbery, where force or threat of force was used, call immediately for an officer response)
- Nuisance Complaints
- Parking Complaints
- Property Crimes
- Suspicious Circumstances
- Tampering with a Motor Vehicle
- Theft from Auto (for theft of license plates, call for an officer response)
If there is significant physical evidence, or the suspect(s) are at or near the scene, please call for Law Enforcement response.
If you have questions, or need Law Enforcement response please contact our dispatch center at 507-238-4481.
Please confirm the following to find out if online reporting is right for you:
- This is not an emergency.
- This incident occurred within the city of Fairmont.
- I am age 18 or older.
- I have an Email address.
- This is not a crime motivated by bias.
- This is not regarding a stolen vehicle or stolen license plates.
- This does not involve a stolen firearm.
- This is not a hit and run or vehicle crash.
If you answered yes to ALL of the above conditions, you are ready to file your report online.
If you answered no to ANY of the crime types or report conditions, please call 507-238-4481 to have an officer respond.
We will need as much information about the crime or situation as possible, including:
- When it happened (date and time)
- Where it happened (street address within the City of Fairmont)
- Who is reporting (your identity)
- Who is the victim/owns the property involved (may be you or someone else)
- Who the suspect(s) are
- What was lost, stolen or damaged
- Details of the incident as complete as possible.
What happens after I submit my report?
- Your report will be reviewed and if approved, assigned to an officer.
- If your report is approved, a permanent police case number will be assigned. This is the number to report to your insurance company, bank, etc. if needed.
- A copy of your police report will be emailed in a printable PDF format.
- Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be contacted by an officer. You may be asked at this time to forward any additional information such as photographs or documentation for your case file.
Please check your e-mail regularly, including the spam or junk e-mail file.
Please note: this system in NOT monitored 24/7.
If you have questions about the status of your report, please call the Online Reporting Unit at 507-238-4481.
Please note: Filing a false police report is a crime. M.S.S 609.505