About the Position
The Fairmont Police Department and the Fairmont Area Schools have shared the full-time services of an SRO since 2001. The Fairmont Police Department and the Fairmont Area Schools have had formal connections with each other throughout their history including D.A.R.E. in the 1990’s and as far back as student/officer school patrol in the 1950’s.
Fairmont PD SRO’s attend an extensive training course through the National Association of School Resource Officers in addition to other targeted training.
School Resource Officer History
- 1950’s-1970’s: Sgt. Major Jones- School Patrol
- 1980’s: Officer Bob Meschke
- 1990’s: Sgt. Kevin Kelly D.A.R.E.
- 2000-2002: Officer Michael Hunter (Now Fairmont Police Chief Hunter) D.A.R.E. and 1st Full-Time SRO
- 2002-2004: Sgt. Lowell Spee, Sgt. Steve Ring, Sgt. Corey Klanderud Counteract
- 2002-2004: Sgt. Corey Klanderud Full-Time SRO
- 2004-2015: Officer Jaime Bleess
- 2017-2018 Officer Michael Beletti
- 2018-2019: Officer Jason Christenson
- 2019-Current: Officer Shannon Bass (Fairmont Area Schools)
- 2019-Current: Officer Will Murray (Arise Academy)
Current School Resource Officer
Officer Shannon Bass has been selected to serve as the next School Resource Officer. He began his service to the Fairmont Area Schools at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year. Officer Bass is continuing the “Adopt-A-Cop” program for all first grade students at Fairmont Elementary School, St. John Vianney, St. Paul Lutheran and Fairmont Christian School. The goal of this program is to build positive relationships with students as they get to know each other. Each first grade classroom adopted an officer into their classroom where they receive monthly visits. Officer Bass assists with training student crossing guards and coordinates the adult crossing guards program.
Officer Bass is involved with several staff/student support groups at Fairmont High School including: Student Support Team, Wellness Team, Student Handbook Committee, Safety Committee, and Community Meetings. Officer Bass is often times called upon as a guest speaker in the classroom.
Officer Will Murray was hired in 2019 specifically to serve as the School Resource Officer for Arise Academy. Officer Murray assists with problem solving, investigations and provides guidance with school safety measures. Officer Murray is active in the classroom which builds rapport with students.
Contact Officer Shannon Bass at 507-238-4481 or by e-mail at email@example.com
Contact Officer Will Murray at 507-238-4481 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org